AACC recognizes the importance of creating a safe campus environment that is free from danger, injury or risk. Although this is the ultimate goal, critical events may happen on campus, and colleges must understand how to operate before, during, and after the event. Colleges can take steps to develop the leadership, infrastructure, and training needed to ensure a high level of safety of the institution and the surrounding communities. Further, they can serve as models and help provide workers to assist with community preparedness and response. To that end, the association has created the Award of Excellence in College Safety Planning and Leadership to recognize exemplary practices and innovation in campus safety and emergency response strategies, programs, and procedures. The deadline to submit this nomination form is November 30, 2018.
Criteria used to evaluate applications are as follow
- College leadership has demonstrated commitment to developing safety training programs and developing leaders capable of handling safety issues.
- College has a plan for addressing safety issues as part of its ongoing programs and operations.
- College has integrated and regularly evaluates appropriate and safe use of equipment and materials in operations and programs to ensure that faculty and students operate in a safe environment.
- College provides information to students and faculty related to safety and response importance and plans.
- College has incorporated safety-related training and associated industry-recognized credentials related to safety, preparedness, and response occupations into college operations and program delivery.
- College has instituted specific programs and services to increase employee safety awareness and response.
- Colleges led by current members of the AACC Board of Directors are not eligible to apply.
- Previous winners in this category are not eligible to apply.
- Award finalists in a previous year are eligible to apply in the same category for the subsequent year. However, the finalist must submit an enhanced application. Enhanced means that the applicant must show further improvement in student success outcomes.
General Guidelines and Nomination Instructions:
- All nominees must be a current AACC member college, and must pay membership fees for next year.
- Nomination form must be signed by the CEO of the nominating institution.
- Each award is given annually, and the honoree(s) will be recognized at the AACC Annual Convention.
- The nomination package must be transmitted ELECTRONICALLY via the nomination form below and include the following:
- Nomination form [submit this online, below].
- Minimum two letters of support, one signed by the nominating college CEO [submit via the online nomination form].
- Additional support materials (i.e. news coverage, fact sheet, descriptions) NOT TO exceed five (5) pages [submit via the online nomination form].
- 5 publication quality photos: (1) publication quality head shot of the CEO [300 dpi resolution or higher], (1) publication quality photos the college (signature buildings, and (3) photos of safety drills, or activities on the campus [submit via the online nomination form].
Click here to apply.