“Hudson County Community College (HCCC) serves one of the most ethnically diverse, densely populated and historic areas of the United States. With the Statue of Liberty in full view from our Journal Square campus, HCCC is transformational, and serves as a gateway to the American Dream for immigrants, descendants of immigrants and other residents of the most diverse city in the nation and the surrounding region. HCCC offers nationally recognized programs in Culinary Arts, Nursing and Allied Health, STEM, English as a Second Language, and the Fine and Performing Arts. Our students – who were born in 119 different countries and speak 29 different languages – mirror the demographics of Hudson County, and benefit from caring and supportive faculty and staff, an exceptionally effective financial aid program (80 percent of HCCC students receive scholarships, grants and loans) and state-of-the-art facilities and equipment. The HCCC Library received the Association of College and Research Libraries 2016 Excellence in Academic Libraries Award. Proudly, in 2017, ‘The Equality of Opportunity Project’ ranked HCCC in the top 5% of 2,200 higher education institutions for social mobility.” – Christopher M. Reber, Ph.D., president of Hudson County Community College
Name: Hudson County Community College
College president’s name: Christopher M. Reber, Ph.D.
Board Chair:William J. Netchert, Esq.
Website: opens in a new windowwww.hccc.edu
City: Jersey City and Union City
State: New Jersey
Campus Setting: Urban
Year established: 1971
Board website: opens in a new window http://www.hccc.edu/hccctrustees/
Student Characteristics Fall 2017
Total Enrollment: 8,408
- The Hudson County Community College (HCCC) Culinary Arts/Hospitality Management program, which is one of only two programs in the region accredited by the American Culinary Federation Accrediting Committee, was ranked number six in the U.S. by Best Choice Schools. The program is housed in the award-winning, state-of-the-art, five-story, 72,000 square-foot Culinary Conference Center on the HCCC Journal Square Campus.
- Over 94% of HCCC Nursing program graduates passed the NCLEX first time out last year, placing the program’s graduates in the top tier of two- and four-year nursing programs nationwide. The HCCC LPN program is ranked among the top New Jersey LPN programs.
- The HCCC Library earned national recognition as the recipient of the Association of College and Research Libraries 2016 Excellence in Academic Libraries Award, the first New Jersey institution to be so honored. In conferring the award, the ACRL cited the HCCC Library’s commitment to student learning, information literacy, and assessment with a focus on continuous innovation and engagement with the campus community that exemplifies today’s best academic and research libraries.
- The HCCC Foundation Art Collection was created in 2006 to coincide with the initiation of the College’s Fine Arts program. The Collection of more than 1,200 paintings, photographs, lithographs, sculptures and other works by nationally acclaimed artists are displayed throughout every College building on the Journal Square and North Hudson Campuses.
- HCCC offers cultural enrichment programs for the entire community, year-round and free of cost. The offerings include art and history exhibitions; lectures featuring nationally acclaimed artists, authors and historians; performing arts presentations; ecological events; book clubs; artists’/writers’ residency programs; tours of local art galleries; and much more.