Friday Plenary, October 25, 2019
Charles Fadel is a global education thought leader and futurist, author and inventor, with several active affiliations; his work spans the continuum of schools, higher education, and workforce development/lifelong learning as:
- Founder and chairman of the Center for Curriculum Redesign (Boston, Massachusetts), focused on “Making Education More Relevant” and answering the question: “What should students learn for the 21st century in an age of Artificial Intelligence?”
- Founder and President of the Fondation Helvetica Educatio (Geneva, Switzerland).
- Project Director at Harvard’s Graduate School of Education in the Laboratory for the Science of the Individual, exploring “Machine Learning + Human Learning.”
- Member of the President’s Council of the Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering.
Through his 25-year high-tech career, he has witnessed firsthand the disruptive effects of exponential change, which gives him a unique perspective he brings to the world of education. Among his past affiliations:
- Global Education Lead at Cisco Systems for almost thirteen years.
- Product marketing and management roles in semiconductors for broadband and wireless applications at Analog Devices and M/A-COM.
- Founder of “Neurodyne AI”, an ahead-of-its-time startup focused on Neural Networks/Artificial Intelligence.
- Visiting practitioner at Harvard’s Graduate School of Education in the Mind, Brain and Education program, exploring curriculum redesign issues in an age of artificial intelligence, and teaching the first-ever class on “Human Learning + Machine Learning” (HT510a).
- Visiting lecturer at MIT’s ESG with an innovative “special topics in mathematics” seminar named “Polymathy: The World in 10 Curves” S20, which he has then taught at Harvard’s Graduate School of Education six years in a row, to student acclaim.
Charles has served as a keynoter/presenter at private, national and international events for organizations as varied as the World Economic Forum, UNESCO, World Bank, OECD, Google TechTalk, Gates Foundation, etc. His most recent, ground-breaking book “Artificial Intelligence in Education” has just been published. His former, highly influential book “Four-Dimensional Education” has been translated in ten languages (framework in 21 languages). He is also the co-author of best-selling book “21st Century Skills” (Wiley) which has become a worldwide moniker.
Charles has been awarded seven patents. He holds a BSEE and an MBA.