“Western Dakota Tech is very proud to be the only Native American serving public technical college in South Dakota. We serve high numbers of first-generation, non-traditional, and economically disadvantaged students and take special care to support our students as they learn and thrive. Our high in-state job placement underscores the fact that our students will be the builders, public servants, healers, and business leaders in our South Dakota communities well into the future.” — Ann Bolman, Ed.D, President of Western Dakota Tech
Name of College: Western Dakota Tech
City and State: Rapid City, South Dakota
College president: Ann Bolman, Ed.D
Type of College: Public
Campus Setting: Small City
Year Established: 1968 (celebrating its 50th Anniversary this year)
Board Chairs: Western Dakota Tech is dually governed by the South Dakota Board of Technical Education – Chair Dana Dykhouse, and the Rapid City Area School Board – Chair Matt Stephens.
Governing Board Websites:
- South Dakota Board of Technical Education, http://doe.sd.gov/bote/
- Rapid City Area School Board, https://public.rcas.org/administration/BOE/default.aspx
Fall credit enrollment:
653 Full-time, 353 part-time
54% male, 46% female
- Nonresident Alien – 0%
- Hispanic/Latino – 6%
- American Indian or Alaska Native – 12%
- Asian – 1%
- Black or African American – 2%
- Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander – 1%
- White – 76%
- Two or more races – 1%
- Race and ethnicity unknown – 2%
Interesting facts about Western Dakota Tech
- Western Dakota Tech is the only college designated as a Native American Serving Nontribal Institution in the state of South Dakota.
- Forty-five percent of degrees/diplomas awarded by Western Dakota Tech are in the Health and Public Safety programs, the highest percentage of the four state technical schools.
- Ninety-four percent of Western Dakota Tech graduates are employed in the state of South Dakota six months after graduation.
- The college hosts a Mass Casualty Simulation Rally every year. It is a cross-program learning immersion experience that incorporates local law enforcement, paramedic, and fire departments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o78gCD4F1SU
- Western Dakota Tech is celebrating 50 years in 2018.