- On January 13, I attended an education listening session with President-elect Trump’s Transition Team (DC).
- On January 12, I was joined by Chief of Staff Angel Royal in convening a meeting of our facilitators to discuss AACC’s leadership activities for the coming year. (DC)
- On January 11, AACC hosted staff from APLU to discuss math pathways (DC).
- I was pleased to join AACC Senior Vice President David Baime and members of his team on January 10 for a webinar with association members to discuss President-elect Trump’s transition.
- On December 13, my wife, Dr. Aileen Bumphus, and I attended President and Mrs. Obama’s final Christmas Party at the White House. We were pleased to see a number of familiar faces in attendance, and we were appreciative of having the opportunity to extend our well wishes to the President and First Lady.
- I joined Dr. Kay McClenney and Dr. Gretchen Schmidt on November 18 in welcoming partners of AACC’s Pathways Project in Washington, DC.
- On November 17, I was pleased to attend a reception hosted by the Carnegie Foundation in honor of Dr. Richard Rhodes, president of Austin Community College, at Hotel Monaco (Washington, DC).
- On November 16, I joined Eduardo Padron at a meeting hosted by Deloitte & Touche on the implications on a Trump administration on higher education. The meeting was held at the Halcyon House in Washington, DC.
- On November 7, I presided over a meeting of AACC and AASA: The School Superintendents Association to discuss college readiness in Washington, DC. I was at AACC’s Fall Meeting November 9–11.
- Along with a number of other community college leaders, I attended a White House Convening on America’s College Promise, and a reception hosted by the Vice President and Dr. Biden. Later that evening, I brought greetings to attendees of the Advanced Technological Education (ATE) conference (DC).
- On Monday, October 24, I was pleased to visit Kirkwood Community College and learn more about the college’s innovative programs and services (Cedar Rapids, IA).
- On October 19, I attended a meeting of the Homeland Security Academic Advisory Council (Washington, DC).
- On October 13, I traveled to Quantico, Virginia to attend my first board meeting for the Marine Corps University.
- On October 10 – 11, I was pleased to provide keynote presentations to members of our AACC John E. Roueche Future Leaders and AACC Future Presidents Institute participants in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- From October 4 – 7, I attended the annual ACCT Congress in New Orleans, LA
- On October 3, I participated in a monthly meeting of the Secretariat at the National Center for Higher Education in Washington, DC
- I was pleased to welcome our pathways partners to DC as well as to participate in a meeting of the Six with regional accreditors on September 28.
- On September 25, I provided a keynote presentation to COMBASE, one of AACC’s 31 affiliated councils. (Seattle)
- On September 28, I will be joined by AACC Board Chair Dan Phelan at a meeting of the Six with regional accreditors. (Washington, DC)
- The AACC Executive Leadership Team and I participated in a staff planning retreat on September 15 in Washington, DC.
- On September 7, I traveled to New Orleans to provide a keynote address the Executive Leadership Forum hosted by Pearson.
- On August 24, I had the pleasure of meeting with League President and CEO Rufus Glasper, and Dr. Anne Kress, an AACC Board member and chair of the League for Innovation’s Board to discuss ways that our two organizations might work together. The next day, I joined National League for Nursing (NLN) CEO Dr. Beverly Malone and Dr. Judith Halstead for a luncheon to discuss the status of NLN’s accreditation efforts.
- On August 15, I traveled to Hanceville, Alabama, to provide a keynote presentation for the Wallace State Community College convocation. The following day, I provided a keynote presentation to the employees of Arkansas State University–Newport (Newport, Arkansas).
- I participated in the AACC Annual Board Retreat from July 26 – 29, 2016 in Washington, DC.
- From July 16 – 19, 2016 I was pleased to join the Presidents Academy Executive Committee for the 2016 PASI in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho.
- On July 15, I traveled to Coeur D'Alene, Idaho to attend the annual Presidents Academy Summer Institute.
- On June 27 – 28, I welcomed and provided a keynote speech to the AACC John E. Roueche Future Leaders Institute. (DC)
- I traveled to Charleston, SC, on June 23 to provide a keynote presentation to attendees at the NCMPR Summer Institute. On the following day, I provide a keynote presentation to the CRD Summer Institute.
- On June 22, I was pleased to bring greetings to attendees of the 2nd Annual NSF/AACC Community College Innovation Challenge reception on Capitol Hill. Later that same evening, I attended the ACT College and Career Readiness Gala.
- On June 16 – 17, I was pleased to convene a dialogue on doctoral programs with several coordinators responsible for community college leadership.
- Members of the AACC staff and I met with Dr. Beverly Malone, Executive Director of the National League for Nursing to discuss the current activities in the field.
- I traveled to Houston, Texas on June 11 to address the inaugural class of the National Council on Student Development’s Walter G. Bumphus Leadership Institute.
- On June 9 – 10, I attended a meeting convened by The School Superintendents Association (AASA) and AACC to discuss college readiness (Alexandria, VA). Several current AACC board members were in attendance.
- I joined other members of the Six on June 8 for a dinner hosted by ACE President Molly Broad to welcome the new AAC&U President Mary Sue Coleman to Washington, DC.
- On Monday, June 6 I was pleased to address the American Association of Women in Community Colleges LEADERS program (New Jersey)
- May 25–26, I participated in a meeting of the National Advisory Board for the Center for Community College Student Engagement in Austin, Texas.
- I attended a program recognizing the fifth anniversary of the Skills for America's Future program on May 17 at the Aspen Institute in Washington, DC.
- On May 14, I was honored to receive an honorary doctorate degree from Murray State University (Kentucky), where I also gave the commencement address.
- Along with other attendees, I was delighted to welcome U. S. Department of Education Deputy Under Secretary Kim Hunter Reed to a meeting of the Washington Higher Education Secretariat on May 3 (DC).
- On April 27, I attended the America’s College Promise Board meeting in New York.
- I was at the AACC Annual Convention in Chicago, Illinois, April 8-12.
- On March 24, I was pleased to welcome our grant partners to a Pathways Technical Assistance Meeting held at AACC.
- On March 20, I traveled to Chicago to receive the League of Innovation’s John Roueche and Terry O’Banion International Leadership Award.
- On March 16, I was delighted to join our colleagues from the Los Angeles Community College District at their reception to honor the California Congressional Delegation. (Washington, DC)
- On March 4, I went to the U.S. Dept. of Education to meet with Mark Mitsui. (DC)
- On February 22, I was pleased to meet with the team from Inside Higher Education to provide an update on the current priorities of the association. (DC)
- On February 22, I traveled to Atlanta, Georgia to attend the Achieving the Dream conference. I also moderated a panel on America’s College Promise.
- I provided a Skype presentation to the board of trustees of Eastern West Virginia Community and Technical College on February 17.
- On Thursday, February 18, I traveled to Hillsborough Community College in Tampa, Florida, to provide greetings for the 10th Anniversary of Black, Brown and College Bound Summit hosted by AACC Past Board Chair Ken Atwater.
- I traveled to Myrtle Beach on February 19 to provide a keynote address to the South Carolina Technical Educators Association.
- I was in San Antonio, Texas, February 4–5 for the first meeting of the Pathways Project participants.
- I participated in AACC’s 2016 Workforce Development Institute in New Orleans, Louisiana, January 20–23.
- On January 15, I’ll be in Santa Barbara, California, at Fielding Graduate University to accept the first Marie Fielder Medal.
- My wife, Dr. Aileen Bumphus, and I are honored to represent community colleges at several holiday events this year, including a holiday reception hosted by Vice President Joe Biden and Dr. Jill Biden on December 12, and President and Mrs. Obama’s Holiday Reception at the White House on December 18.
- On December 7, I attended the Six Holiday Party hosted by ACE President Molly Broad.
- November 10–13, I attended the AACC Fall Meeting in Washington, DC.
- I provided a keynote speech to the McCall Leadership Academy in Versailles, Kentucky, on November 5.
- On November 3, I traveled to Hollywood, Florida, to participate in a panel discussion as a part of the American Association Collegiate Registrars and Admission Officers (AACRAO) Strategic Enrollment Management Conference.
- On October 21, I participated in a Homeland Security Academic Advisory Council Meeting in Washington, DC.
- I attended an ACT Board Meeting October 19–20 in Iowa City, Iowa.
- From October 12 – 16, I attended the Association of Community College Trustees’ Annual Congress in San Diego, CA.
- On October 6, I attended a meeting of the Washington Higher Education Secretariat in DC where we received updates from Under Secretary Ted Mitchell and Senator Lamar Alexander on several legislative issues. I traveled to North Carolina on October 7 – 8 to provide a keynote address to the North Carolina Association of Community College Presidents.
- September 30 – I joined ACCT President and CEO Noah Brown for a Funder’s Briefing in New York hosted by the Ford Foundation. Also in attendance were representatives from the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, USAFunds, Lumina Foundation, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- On September 28 – I had the pleasure of addressing a group of doctoral students from Iowa State University and the University of North Texas on the national agenda for community colleges.
- On September 21 – I welcomed attendees to AACC’s High Performance Team Training, which was hosted by Lone Star College in Houston, Texas. Later that day, I returned to Washington, DC to meet with the partner organizations for the AACC Structured Pathways project.
- September 16 – I attended a meeting of the America’s College Promise National Advisory Board at the White House (DC)
- September 14 – I traveled to Raleigh-Durham to provide a keynote speech to the National Search & Education Consulting 2015 Future Presidents Institute. Later that day I participated in a panel discussion before the same group.
- September 9 – I traveled to Illinois to attend President Obama’s announcement of the America’s College Promise campaign
- On August 13 – 14, I attended and provided a keynote address for Lansing Community College’s Higher Education & Leadership Symposium (MI).
- August 7 – I attended a convening of the Higher Education Reauthorization Task Force Meeting led by AACC Senior Vice President David Baime in Washington, DC.
- July 28 – 31 – I attended the annual AACC Board of Directors retreat and meeting (Washington, DC).
- July 18 – 21, I was pleased to welcome and to provide a keynote address to 56 CEOs and 11 spouse/partners at the 2015 Presidents Academy Summer Institute held in Austin, Texas.
- July 16 – 17, member of the AACC Executive Leadership Team and I participated in our annual retreat. We were hosted by Austin Community College President Richard Rhodes and toured his ACCelerator, by Dr. John Roueche and the staff of National American University, by Dr. Evelyn Waiwaiole of the Center for Community College Engagement and by Dr. Cynthia Ferrell at the Texas Student Success Center in Austin, Texas.
- July 14, I was delighted to join Congressman Bradley Byrne and Legislative Assistant Lora Hobbs to discuss several issues of importance to community colleges (Washington, DC).
- On July 10, I was pleased to join members of the Association of Community College Trustees’ Board of Directors for dinner in Washington, DC.
- On July 8, I provided a presentation via Adobe Connect to doctoral students in Ferris State University community college leadership program.
- On July 7, I participated in the America’s College Promise Coalition Meeting in Washington, DC.
- On July 1, I participated in a Homeland Security Academic Advisory Council Meeting in Washington, DC.
- June 26 – I provided a presentation to the University of Maryland University College doctoral program (Washington, DC).
- June 21–23 – I was pleased to welcome 42 female leaders to our first “Women and Leaders,” pre-conference provided in conjunction with the Roueche Future Leaders Institute. Later, I provided a keynote presentation to the Roueche Future Leaders Institute June cohort. (Las Vegas, NV).
- June 10 – AACC staff and I attended a briefing on America’s College Promise (Washington, DC).
- June 8 – Several members of the AACC staff and I met with Dr. Peter Ewell of NCHEMs to discuss his recent work on accreditation (Washington, DC).
- June 4-5 – I traveled to Dallas, Texas, to co-preside over the second meeting of AACC and AASA, the School Superintendents Association to discuss college readiness.
- June 2 – I attended a meeting of the Washington Higher Education Secretariat (Washington, DC).
- May 20 – I met with Congressman Bradley Byrne to discuss several higher education issues (Washington, DC).
- May 15 – I provided a keynote presentation to CEOs, administrators, and staff of the Lone Star College System in The Woodlands, TX.
- May 14 – I was pleased to join by wife Dr. Aileen Bumphus in providing the commencement speech for Austin Community College.
- May 6-7 – I participated in the board meeting for the Community College Survey of Student Engagement in Austin, TX.
- May 5 – I attended a meeting of The Six on April 6 in Wasington, D.C.
- April 16–21 – I’m in San Antonio, Texas, for the AACC Annual Convention.
- April 13, 2015 – We were delighted to welcome Lauren Kielsmeier, Executive Director of Academic Engagement for the Homeland Security Academic Advisory Council to the AACC weekly executive leadership team meeting in Wasington, D.C.
- April 6, 2015 – I attended a meeting of The Six on April 6 in Wasington, D.C.
Where's Walter Archive