The Voluntary Framework of Accountability is the first national system of accountability specifically FOR community colleges and BY community colleges. Leadership in the sector is defining the most appropriate metrics for gauging how well our institutions perform in serving a variety of students and purposes.
The VFA is structured as a three-phase initiative and is currently in Phase II, which will end in fall 2011 with the completion of:
- A technical manual to define and instruct calculation of measures
- A framework for guiding colleges in the assessment of student learning outcomes
- A blueprint and mock-up of a data collection and display tool
- The preliminary results of pilot testing
- A strategic plan for college participation and engagement in the VFA
Phase III--the availability of the VFA to all community colleges--is anticipated to start in 2012.