The ten community colleges that participated in AACC's 1997-2000 Horizons project received $26,000 in grants over three years to integrate service learning into the curriculum.
The colleges are:
- Century Community and Technical College, MN
- Gadsden State Community College, AL
- Iowa Western Community College, IA
- NorthWest Arkansas Community College, AR
- Nunez Community College, LA
- Oakton Community College, IL
- Richland College, TX
- Skagit Valley College,WA
- Southwestern College, CA
- University College, University of Cincinnati, OH
These Horizons colleges received technical assistance from a four-member Horizons Mentor Team, comprising experienced service learning practitioners from:
AACC's ten Horizons colleges reported that, from January 1998 through June 2000, 6,689 students performed 111,438 hours of direct community service, worked with 760 faculty and administrators, and served 1,951 agencies and schools and more than 75,000 individuals. Half of these colleges have part- or full-time service learning coordinators funded institutionally.
To read more about the Horizons alumni colleges, see two Project Briefs: