In December 2000, AACC selected 10 community colleges to create and support replicable and sustainable models of service learning in the areas of education, public safety, human needs, and the environment.
Horizons mentee colleges include:
- Anne Arundel Community College, MD
- Bellevue Community College, WA
- Broome Community College, NY
- Dona Ana Branch Community College, NM
- East Central Community College, MS
- Minnesota State Community & Technical College (formerly Fergus Falls Community College), MN
- Malcolm X College, IL
- Orange Coast College, CA
- Southern Maine Community College, ME
- Virginia Highlands Community College, VA
A team of five experienced service learning practitioners serve as mentors to the Horizons mentee colleges.
Horizons mentor colleges include:
During the course of this project, participants at the 10 Horizons mentee colleges made a significant impact on their communities. Service learning was incorporated into 147 courses for the first time. Total figures reported by the colleges indicate that 6,532 students performed 67,086 hours of direct community service, worked with 580 faculty and administrators, and affected 1,028 agencies and approximately 36,194 individuals.
To read more about the Horizons colleges, see the AACC Project Brief: