Background and Development
The VFA is structured as a multi-phases initiative.
AACC, ACCT, and College Board, with support from the Lumina Foundation for Education, reviewed research to identify the need for a common accountability framework among community colleges and determine potential next steps.
At the close of the planning period, two reports were issued to inform the start of the VFA initiative:
Development of Metrics (completed):
Based upon the discovery and planning period, AACC and its partners managed the development of metrics for the VFA - to help community colleges gather and use data to improve their effectiveness.
Development of the metrics included:
- Analysis of current college and state data collection efforts
- Development of a common set of measures detailed in a technical manual to instruct in calculation of the metrics
- Pilot testing of the common measures
- A framework for guiding colleges in the assessment of student learning outcomes
- A blueprint and mock-up of a data collection and display tool
- Market research which resulted in a strategic plan for community colleges and state systems to participate in VFA
For a complete account of the VFA background, development of metrics, and outcomes to date see:
For detailed definitions of the VFA measures and instructions to calculate the VFA cohort and metrics see:
Building the VFA Data Tool and National Roll-out (in progress):
AACC has made the VFA metrics available to all colleges and will provide an online data display tool in 2013.