MESALANDS COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Director of Personnel/Personnel Specialist
ANNUAL SALARY RANGE: Dependent upon Education and Experience
Mesalands Community College is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, physical or mental disability, serious medical condition or veteran status. Mesalands Community College strictly adheres to a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
This position shall be responsible to the Dean of Administrative Services for all personnel and payroll activities.
Essential Functions: The employee is responsible for the following:
- Maintains a positive recruitment program and oversees the selection process, including applicant testing
- Proposes, publishes, and administers personnel policies
- Administers classification program, which includes classifying and reclassifying positions, and writing job descriptions
- Performs duties associated with complaint and grievance procedures
- Monitors worker's compensation and unemployment claims and works with third party administrators in these areas
- Establishes and maintains employee personnel files and records pertaining to payroll
- Coordinates the personnel/payroll computer function to include data input and verification of all college payrolls
- Remits employee deductions to proper agencies, reconciles employee deductions to the general ledger
- Researches changes in legislation concerning personnel and payroll administration; interprets data and recommends procedures to ensure compliance with state and federal laws
- Performs tasks related to employment verification, accident reports for both employees and students, workers' compensation, and all employee benefits plans
- Completes reports as required by state and federal agencies
- Assists auditors in reconciliation of all payroll accounts and employee benefits accounts
- Serves as the remitting agent for all college payroll and fringe benefits
- Serves as the college's agent for educational retirement and group insurance plans
- Plans and conducts new employee orientation
- Performs other duties as assigned
(Position to be filled based on qualifications.)
Specialist: High School Diploma or equivalent required; associate degree in business, human resource management, or other relevant field preferred. Travel required.
Director: Associate’s degree in business, human resource management, or other relevant field required. Bachelor’s degree in relevant field preferred. Experience preferred. Community college experience preferred. Travel required.
Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills a must. Ability to read and comprehend complex instructions, correspondence, and memos. Ability to write correspondence. Ability to effectively present information to individuals and groups from within Mesalands Community College and out in the community.
Ability to perform mathematical functions.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations.
Computer Competency: Capable of applying and maneuvering within various software packages including but not limited to Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, and Internet.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee is required to walk, stand, sit; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, and controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, and lift; talk and hear.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The noise level in the work environment is usually low. Job performed indoors and outdoors. A lot of travel required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants must submit: a cover letter; a resume; a completed, signed, and dated Mesalands Community College employment application (supplied to applicant upon request–also available online at http://www.mesalands.edu; unofficial copies of college transcripts; verification of valid driver license; and list of three references, including name, address, and phone numbers. References and former employers will be contacted. Applications should be mailed or delivered to: Personnel, Mesalands Community College, 911 S. Tenth Street, Tucumcari, NM 8840. Application review will continue weekly until the position is filled.