Pierpont Community & Technical College
Fairmont, West Virginia
Pierpont Community & Technical College seeks a dynamic, visionary leader with significant academic and senior administrative experience to serve as its next president. Committed to advancing the institution to higher levels of achievement, this executive officer will embrace and articulate ardently the mission of providing opportunities for learning and training that enrich the lives of individuals and promote the economic growth of the region and the state.
Building on the past accomplishments of Pierpont, the next president will further strengthen and expand programs, technology and services while introducing ones that address emerging trends and needs in the marketplace. A high priority will be to enhance Pierpont’s identity as a separate educational institution from Fairmont State University, with which the institution shares a campus and services.
The new president will work collaboratively with others, finding common ground when there are diverse viewpoints. Both a decision-maker and strategic planner, the executive officer will understand how to balance and prioritize challenges and opportunities, keeping the institution on target in accomplishing its goals and aspirations. One initiative for the new president will be to evaluate Pierpont’s academic and administrative structure to improve its organization.
The president will have a record of establishing effective connections, collaborations, partnerships and coalitions. This senior officer will have demonstrated effective administration of fiscal and human resources and will understand the funding and budgeting process at the state level.
Founded in 1974, Pierpont Community & Technical College is a comprehensive community college that strives to enhance the quality of life for people of north-central West Virginia through accessible, affordable, workforce-related training, and quality higher education opportunities. With an enrollment of more than 2,600 students, Pierpont offers more than 50 associate degree programs, skill sets and certificates, as well as a variety of courses at more than 15 sites in a 13-county service area through Off-Campus Programs.
The community college shares a 120-acre main campus with Fairmont State University, enabling Pierpont to offer students the responsiveness of a community college with the amenities of a university. Although Fairmont State and Pierpont share a main campus and services, the two institutions have separate accreditations, governing boards and missions.
The two educational institutions do work in partnership. Pierpont students who seek to continue their studies for a bachelor’s degree are able to transition to Fairmont State University, which offers more than 90 baccalaureate degrees and graduate programs in business, criminal justice, education and human services.
Valuing scholarship, opportunity, achievement and responsibility, Pierpont’s faculty is committed to providing high-quality educational experiences to each student. Coordination between the institution’s on-campus, full-time faculty and its adjunct faculty, who teach off-campus courses, assures the same standards of quality as those offered on the main campus.
Pierpont’s popular offering in flight and aviation maintenance is taught at the Robert C. Byrd National Aerospace Education Center in Bridgeport, West Virginia. Among the College’s other programs are food services and the culinary arts; the American Sign Language communication program; early childhood; business and accounting; graphic, drafting and printing technology; agriculture and agribusiness; health careers; museum studies; fashion and interior design; building and construction; machine tool technology, and criminal justice. Recent surveys indicate that 90 percent of Pierpont graduates seek employment upon graduation, and 85 percent find jobs in West Virginia.
Presidential Qualities and Requirements
Candidates seeking this outstanding opportunity should possess:
Fairmont, West Virginia
- Preferably, a terminal or professional degree, along with significant administrative leadership and faculty experience
- Administrative and teaching experience at a community college
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written, especially in articulating the mission, vision and goals
- Successful financial leadership experience that demonstrates resourceful approaches to handling a complex operating budget
- The knowledge and ability to be effective within a state political system, including interacting with elected and appointed officials, agencies, and boards
- The ability to lead collaboratively in a manner that provides a supportive, responsive working and learning environment for faculty, staff and students
- A leadership style that enhances the relationship of the College to other educational institutions and the broader local and state community
- The ability to strategically position the College to achieve future success
- The expertise to recognize emerging trends and opportunities that could benefit the College and its students
- The ability and confidence to develop new relationships and nurture present ones that support the College’s vision, mission, and goals
- The highest standards of personal and professional integrity and credibility
- Leadership qualities and characteristics that inspire excellence and dedication in others
Pierpont Community & Technical College is in Fairmont, West Virginia, where the Tygart Valley River and the West Fork River join to form the Monongahela River. Home of the first Father’s Day observance, Fairmont has approximately 20,000 residents. Located along the state’s I-79 high tech corridor, the college is less than two hours by interstate to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and a four-hour drive to Washington, D.C.
Several of the area’s unused railroads have been converted into miles of rail trails for walking, jogging or cycling as well as beautiful waterfront recreation centers, offering a variety of activities. With a history that spans more than 200 years, the city and county offer an array of nationally registered museums and monuments.
Pierpont Community & Technical College is an equal opportunity employer.
Referrals and Applications
Referrals, letters of interest and applications, including a cover letter and resume, should be submitted to Pierpont@myersmcrae.com. Confidential inquiries are invited.
Contact the Myers McRae Consultant Team Leaders:
- Stephen Markwood, Ed.D.
(843) 705-0960, email@example.com
- Kenny Daugherty
(478) 330-6224, firstname.lastname@example.org
515 Mulberry Street, Suite 200 • Macon, Georgia 31201
478-330-6222 • www.myersmcrae.com