Date: March 17, 2016
Title: Dean of Instructional Support
Job ID: 678
Schedule: Begins Summer 2016 - 40 hours/52 weeks*
Salary: Meet and Confer, Level 19 – $101,468
Reports to: Provost
Close date: April 3, 2016
*willing to work a flexible schedule that may include evenings and/or weekends
The Dean works collaboratively with the academic and student affairs leadership, both staff and faculty, of Grand Rapids Community College to develop a vision and plan for Instructional Support at the College. The Dean provides leadership and oversight of GRCC’s Instructional Support unit, which includes the Center for Teaching Excellence, Curriculum and Assessment, Transfer and Articulation, and the Department of Experiential Learning (which houses Academic Service Learning, the Honors Program, and Study Away).
The Dean serves on the President’s Cabinet, Provost/Deans’ leadership group, Deans’ Council, Strategic Leadership Team, and the Academic Governing Council. The Dean collaborates closely with all stakeholders involved in instructional support, including, but not limited to all faculty; the staff of Arts and Sciences, Workforce Development, Student Success and Retention, Student Affairs, Academic Outreach, Institutional Research and Planning, and Distance Learning and Instructional Technologies; as well as units outside Academic and Student Affairs, including Information Technology, Financial Services, Facilities, and Human Resources.
• Provides College-level leadership for the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of instructional support initiatives
• In accordance with College governance structures, develops policies and processes related to instructional support
• Works collaboratively with academic deans and faculty to encourage best practices in pedagogy, curriculum, and assessment, as well as the other instructional support functions housed in the unit
• Works collaboratively with academic deans to develop plans for the improvement and evaluation of faculty teaching, of curriculum quality and currency, and of assessment of student learning
• Works collaboratively with the Provost to administer the faculty evaluation system and to recognize and reward faculty excellence
• Communicates the work of the unit to the College and the College to the unit; updates stakeholder groups as needed
• Leads the work to ensure the efficient and effective operations of all processes related to instructional support
• Ensures that the work of Instructional Support meets or surpasses all of the following: College policy mandates, state and federal reporting requirements, accreditation standards, copyright laws, GRCC intellectual property guidelines, and ADA requirements
• Remains current with best practices and new developments in all areas housed in the unit
• Monitors and responds to faculty and student satisfaction with instructional support
• Collects appropriate data and prepares reports for internal and external audiences related to the unit
• Chairs various standing and ad hoc committees, including the Curriculum Approval Team, the Curriculum Operations Support Team, and the General Education Team
• Manages the budget of the unit
• Supervises and evaluates staff in the unit
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Provost
• Master’s Degree required; Ph.D. preferred.
• Academic leadership experience required – may include formal administrative roles or leadership of major academic initiatives; community college experience preferred.
• Full-time, tenure track teaching experience required; community college experience preferred.
• Experience in curriculum and assessment required
• Experience in faculty development required
• Experience in the areas of transfer and articulation, service learning, honors, and study away desirable
• Strong Interpersonal and communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations
• Demonstrated commitment to innovation and continuous quality improvement
• Strong commitment to providing a learner-centered environment
• Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time
• Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position.
• An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student population
• An interest in working with diverse student populations who represent a wide range of ages, ethnicities, national origins, and abilities
• Demonstrated initiative and strong organizational and problem-solving abilities
• Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimal supervision
• High energy level
• Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to interruptions and schedule changes
• Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional manner.
• Offices, classrooms, and labs in an academic setting
• Travel to offsite locations may be required
Why work at GRCC? This position offers:
• Competitive salary with merit-based increases
• A diverse working and learning environment with ongoing related professional development
• Retirement plans including Michigan Public Schools Retiree System (defined benefit) or TIAA-CREF (defined contribution)
• Generous personal time off package, including holidays, sick time for you and your family, vacation, bereavement and personal days
• Domestic Partner Benefit Program
• Excellent and affordable health coverage
• Generous dental and optical reimbursement plan
• Life insurance and long term disability benefits
• Free tuition at GRCC for you and your dependents
• External institution tuition reimbursement for you
• Extensive Professional Development and Wellness opportunities
• Ford Fieldhouse Health Club and Pool Membership
• Downtown campus parking at a deep discount
• Grand Rapids is a Cool City!
For more information about
Grand Rapids: http://www.hellowestmichigan.com/Why-West-Michigan/Grand-Rapids
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs The posting will remain open until April 3, 2016 at 11:59 PM ET. Please include your resume and cover letter in one document; unofficial transcripts; and names and contact information for five professional references. Find instructions on applying and uploading additional documents at http://www.grcc.edu/humanresources/jobs/applyingforemploymentatgrcc Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities,services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics.The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation.