Job Vacancy Notice
Job Title: Executive Counsel to the President and Labor Designee (Administrator)
Job ID: 14386
Location: Hostos Community College
Full/Part Time: Full Time
The Executive Counsel to the President/Labor Designee is the legal advisor to the President. He/she provides legal advice and prepares effective and persuasive legal correspondence and documents on a broad array of issues including, but not limited to: litigation, employment and labor law, compliance and contractual agreements, governance, fundraising and immigration including H-1B visa processes. The Counsel serves as hearing officer of disciplinary and grievance proceedings and represents the College at higher levels of the disciplinary and grievance processes. The Executive Counsel also serves as the College's liaison to the University's Office of Legal Affairs and serves as the campus Ethics Officer, Secretary to the College P&B and Records Access Officer. As a member of the President's Cabinet, the successful candidate will contribute to the achievement of college goals and objectives by providing proactive and strategic guidance.
The Executive Counsel provides legal support to the Vice Presidents, Senior Administrators, Deans, Department Chairpersons, Directors of College programs/units and College faculty.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for the administration and interpretation of the University Bylaws, University and College policies and procedures, College governance charter, and various collective bargaining agreements.
- Handles employee grievances and disciplinary proceedings for instructional and non-instructional staff; advocates the College's position at appeal hearings
- Counsels the President with student disciplinary proceedings.
- Works with attorneys in CUNY's Office of the General Counsel and Office of Human Resource Management and acts as the College's representative at arbitration.
- Investigates complaints filled from outside agencies; provides records, files and documents required at legal inquiries and proceedings; prepares or reviews subpoenas and requests for information under the Public information Act, contracts and affiliation agreements entered into by the College; assists in proceedings before federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Ensures compliance with promotional and tenure standards and multiple position policy promulgated by the City University of New York and serves on the college's Governance and Election Committee of the College Senate.
- Provides ongoing legal counsel and advice to the College staff in areas related to contract and commercial matters involving College and College-affiliated entities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the President.
This position is in CUNY's Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience.
Candidate must have a JD, be admitted to the N.Y. State Bar, and have at least eight years of related experience. The successful candidate will have excellent communication, interpersonal, conflict resolution, and organizational skills as well as excellent judgment.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigating the following links: "Employment" and "Search Job Postings."
Please attach resume, cover letter and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin February 16, 2016.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Executive
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.