Job Vacancy Notice
Job Title: Financial Aid Director
Job ID: 14209
Location: Hostos Community College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The mission of the Financial Aid Office at Hostos Community College is to provide professional services to students that will remove financial barriers and empower them to meet their educational goals. Through the strict adherence of federal, state and city requirements, the Office of Financial Aid incorporates best practices for the field provided by national, regional and state associations to nurture a supportive structure resulting in the timely delivery of student aid funds.
The Office of Financial Aid staff is committed to help students understand the various financial aid programs that are available, and to work with those who face significant financial difficulties during their career at Hostos. In addition, we strive to deliver high quality services with professional competency and concern. We are dedicated to the equitable treatment of all applicants and the privacy of confidential information.
Financial Aid counseling is available on an individual basis, by appointment, and via group workshops conducted throughout the academic year. Staff provide assistance with the online filing of financial aid forms as well as monitor student records to ensure compliance with federal and state requirements. All available resources are used to ensure that finances do not prevent qualified students from earning a college degree.
In addition to the duties described in the CUNY Title Overview section below, the successful candidate will be responsible but not limited for the following:
- Performs complex data analyses on financial aid processes using CUNYfirst to make projections and create improvement plans.
- Oversees internal reconciliation efforts and reports to reviewing entities such as auditors, program reviewers and accreditation teams.
- Develops training materials and presentations for staff's professional development with the student information system and new developments or changes in Title IV program eligibility system required configuration.
Bachelor's Degree and eight years' related experience required.
Preferred qualifications for this position are as follows:
- At least five years of supervisory experience with progressively increasing responsibility and demonstrated success in managing financial aid operations at the University level
- Possess strategic understanding of the internal role of financial aid in supporting student enrollment, student success and student services
- Knowledge of financial aid trends as they relate to the use and delivery of student financial aid
- Experience with federal financial aid program management, as well as state and institutional fund management; thorough knowledge of and experience in implementing federal, state and institutional financial aid program practices, laws and compliance regulations
- Experience in preparing state and federal reports
- Knowledge of industry related software and database management to deliver, track and evaluate financial aid programs as well as demonstrated ability and experience to initiate and utilize new or innovative financial aid technology and strategies
- Excellent computer skills for managing an integrated financial aid computerized record keeping system EDE electronic processing system including Electronic PELL and Web Grants
- Excellent counseling skills required to interface with students, prospective students, student families, faculty, staff, external organizations and other individuals
- Ability to quickly organize and communicate thoughts in order to speak effectively with coworkers, public and student populations
- Ability to work outside of standard business hours to complete job requirements/assignments
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
- Develops and oversees student financial aid programs in accordance with Federal/State laws and regulations and University guidelines.
- Develops and interprets financial aid policies and procedures with regard to Federal and NY State programs such as internal loan programs, all state and federal loan programs, Stafford Loans, Perkins Loans, College Work Study, and Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
- Reports on general and fiscal matters such as program expenditures, projections of full-year spending potential, and analyses of spending patterns
- Authorizes the disbursement of funds
- Monitors compliance with Federal and State financial aid regulations, developing and implementing compliance procedures
- Serves as College liaison to Federal, State, local and professional agencies on financial aid matters
- Assures that the Financial Aid function works effectively with other College units (e.g., Admissions, Registrar, Bursar)
- Manages financial aid staffing, development, and evaluation
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Officer
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigating to the following links: "Employment" and "Search Job Listings."
Please attach resume, cover letter, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references
January 22, 2016
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.