Minnesota State Colleges and Universities invites applications and nominations for president of Metropolitan State University.
Metropolitan State, the public, urban university of the Twin Cities, seeks a visionary leader to work with students, faculty, staff, and the community as we provide the best higher education experience for diverse students with nontraditional needs.
Metropolitan State focuses on providing high-quality, accessible educational programs and services in a student-centered environment. The university provides more than 60 undergraduate programs and 12 masters and two doctoral programs, with the option to create individualized baccalaureate degrees.
Metropolitan State partners to learn in, from, and with the urban communities where we are located and demonstrates an unwavering commitment to civic engagement. Our faculty bring both practical and theoretical knowledge to their instruction. Students, faculty, staff, and community partnerships all reflect the area’s rich diversity.
Metropolitan State is passionately and intensely focused on providing a transformative educational experience for all students, particularly post-traditional learners: older than average, part-time, incumbent workers, career-changers, often with substantial family obligations, and transfer students from community colleges.
The University is a catalyst for the region to attract, nurture, and retain the talent so critical to Minnesota business and industry. Metropolitan State University is central to the MnSCU strategic priority to ensure access to an extraordinary education for all Minnesotans.
Founded in 1971, Metropolitan State University was envisioned as an institution without walls, serving the community where students worked and lived. Since that time, the university has expanded its physical footprint in four primary locations and more than 20 instructional sites while remaining true to the spirit of its founders.
A recent construction boom on its Saint Paul campus has added three new facilities: a student center, a multi-level parking ramp, and most importantly, a new Science Education Center that will allow for critical expansion of STEM programming in coming years.
Metropolitan State University is a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system. With 24 community and technical colleges and seven state universities, MnSCU is the largest provider of higher education in the state of Minnesota. Under the leadership of Chancellor Steven Rosenstone, MnSCU is committed to ensuring access to an extraordinary education for all Minnesotans; being the partner of choice to meet Minnesota’s workforce and community needs; and delivering to students, employers, communities, and taxpayers the highest value, most affordable higher education option.
Reporting to the chancellor, the president of Metropolitan State University serves as chief executive officer responsible for leading the faculty and staff in fulfilling the university’s mission. The president serves on the system’s Leadership Council, which consists of the chancellor, the chancellor’s cabinet, and the 30 college and university presidents. As a member of the Leadership Council, the president contributes to the overall direction of the nation’s fifth-largest system of higher education.
Qualifications and Characteristics
The successful candidate will demonstrate most, if not all, of these qualifications:
- Strong leadership skills necessary to provide vision and direction to the college, the community, and the MnSCU system
- Strong proponent of the community and technical college missions
- Champion of student success
- Demonstrated experience advancing diversity and inclusion
- Progressively responsible experience in higher education administration or in other complex organizations
- An appropriate combination of experience in program and curriculum development, fundraising, governmental relations, accreditation processes, and budget and fiscal management
- Experience in a collective bargaining environment
- Experience and leadership with shared governance
- Experience partnering with K-12 and baccalaureate institutions
- Experience building relationships and partnerships with business, education, and other community organizations
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with other colleges, universities, and the system office, and to identify effective strategies for leveraging collective strengths, resources, and employee expertise
- Demonstrated ability to innovate and encourage creative thinking
- A collegial and collaborative management style that is authentic, transparent, and respectful
- A visible, engaged, and accessible presence with students, alumni, community leaders, and friends of the college
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills effective with a broad range of audiences
- An earned doctorate or terminal degree is required
Inquiries, Nominations and Applications
EFL Associates, an executive search firm, is assisting Metropolitan State University with its search for this important position. All calls, nominations, and inquiries should be made through the search firm.
Screening of applications will begin December 3, 2015 and continue until an appointment is made.
Confidential inquiries, nominations, and applications should be directed to:
Jan M. Asnicar
Senior Vice President & Managing Director, Higher Education Practice
816-945-5406 cell 913-339-8928
Applications should include a letter of introduction outlining the applicant’s background and qualifications for the position. (This letter should specifically address the leadership attributes and professional competencies for this position.); curriculum vitae/resumé; contact information (e-mail addresses are required) for five professional references, at least one of which is a person who has reported directly to the applicant, a second who is a colleague, and a third to whom the applicant has reported directly.
All documents should be submitted electronically in PDF format to: https://highereddecisions.com/efl/current_vacancies.asp
To learn more about MnSCU, please visit www.mnscu.edu
To learn more about Metropolitan State University, please visit www.metrostate.eduApply Here