Lake-Sumter State College, a Florida College System institution serving more than 6,000 students across three locations, has launched a national search for its sixth President. The Search Committee invites applications, nominations, and expressions of interest for this executive officer who will shape the future of this innovative institution that serves Lake and Sumter counties in Central Florida.
Search Profile: Complete information on this opportunity is available in the Search Profile at: http://www.myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/file/LSSC.pdf
The President serves as the chief executive officer of the College and is responsible for the operation and administration of the institution. Reporting to the nine-member District Board of Trustees, the President maintains the vision and priorities of the College and serves as the primary advocate for the institution throughout the service communities and the state.
A visionary, the President is responsible for ensuring the College provides a quality education to its students. This senior administrator maintains the high standards of the institution while growing the College’s programs, enrollment, and services.
The President has the leadership skills, administrative experience, and management abilities to effectively oversee and manage the personnel, facilities, and operations of the College across its campuses and center.
The President is committed to the continuous improvement of programs and services to ensure student-centered practices from the first point of contact. This executive officer supports a culture of exploration and reflection that inspires new ideas and practices that make LSSC distinctive and the destination of choice for students.
To maximize student learning and to ensure the College meets the present and future needs of the community, the President collaborates with internal and external partners. With the ability to work with business and community leaders in Lake and Sumter counties, the President develops strategic partnerships that benefit the College.
As the public representative of the College and a leader in the community, the President demonstrates exemplary personal integrity and professional ethics. A confident and thoughtful decision maker and proven leader, the executive officer is a morale builder and motivator.
Additionally, the President:
• Understands current and emerging issues and trends in higher education, including developing technologies, to enable the College to develop new programs and services
• Participates in fundraising activities and supports grant solicitation to increase financial resources available to the College’s programs and services
• Ensures effective financial management and resource development for additional sources of funding
A post-graduate degree is required; an earned doctorate from a regionally accredited institution is preferred. Candidates with traditional academic as well as non-traditional backgrounds with demonstrated leadership and operating experience in higher education, business, or governmental management will be considered. Administrative experience in higher education is preferred, but not required.
Superior written and verbal communication skills, the ability to make effective public presentations, and a record of active community involvement are required. Experience working with the media is preferred.
Candidates will have the leadership skills, administrative experience, and management abilities to effectively lead the personnel, facilities, and operations of the College.
Candidates will have demonstrated exemplary personal integrity and professional ethics.
The successful candidate will:
• Be politically astute and knowledgeable of the Governor’s priorities
• Have a demonstrated record in the areas of fundraising, strategic planning, and facilities planning
• Be a proven leader in developing and maintaining budgets
• Embrace through actions the cultural, ethnic, and gender diversity of students and staff
• Have a commitment to or experience with workforce and economic development
• Establish and maintain successful partnerships with businesses and industries and with other educational entities and leaders, especially within the state
• Have experience working with the assessment of institutional effectiveness, performance indicators, and supporting data
• Have the proven ability to address difficult situations and turn them around for the betterment of the institution
• Have excellent abilities to navigate the state legislative process and interact positively with legislators
The President will have the ability to:
• Understand District Board of Trustees policies and procedures and respond within the confines of adopted board rules and procedures
• Maintain communications with the District Board of Trustees and executive team to ensure transparency and develop open and effective relationships
• Interrelate effectively with diverse populations and create a climate of inclusiveness
About Lake and Sumter Counties, Florida
Lake and Sumter counties offer scenic beauty, including rolling hills, magnificent trees, national forests, and more than 1,400 lakes. A popular choice for both families and retirees, the adjacent counties provide rural and urban settings as well as a wide variety of outdoor recreational opportunities that can be enjoyed throughout the year.
Lake and Sumter counties are conveniently located near Tampa in the South, Orlando in the East, and Ocala in the North. Additionally, an international airport, Atlantic coast beaches, and Gulf coast beaches are within an hour’s drive.
Tampa Bay is a world-renowned tourist destination, including internationally acclaimed white sandy beaches and a vibrant arts, shopping, dining, cultural, and entertainment scene. Sports fans enjoy professional football, professional hockey, and major league baseball.
Beyond its internationally popular theme parks, Orlando has outstanding shopping, entertainment, and dining opportunities for every budget.
Lake-Sumter State College is committed to non-discrimination based on race, color, sex, ethnicity, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, religion, sexual orientation, and political affiliation. This commitment applies in all areas to applicants, visitors, students, faculty, administrators, staff, and others affiliated with the College.
Nomination and Application Process
Inquiries are welcomed and nominations are invited.
Nominations should include the name, current position, email address, and telephone number of the individual being nominated.
To Apply: Application materials should include a cover letter addressing how the candidate’s experience matches the position requirements, curriculum vitae, and contact information for at least five professional and character references. References will not be contacted without consent from the candidate.
Nominations and application materials must be submitted to: LSSC@myersmcrae.com
Initial screening of applications begins immediately.
For best consideration, applications must be submitted by September 8, 2015.
Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting is assisting Lake-Sumter State College with this search. The consultant team leaders are: Emily Parker Myers, President and CEO; Robb Myers, Vice President; and Bobby Pope, Vice President.
Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting
515 Mulberry Street, Suite 200, Macon, Georgia 31201
(478) 330-6222 | www.myersmcrae.com