Job Bank Jobs:
VICE PRESIDENT, ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES - L.A. HARBOR COLLEGE
|VICE PRESIDENT, ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES - L.A. HARBOR COLLEGE|
|Los Angeles Community College District|
The Los Angeles Community College District invites applications to fill the position of Vice President, Administrative Services at Los Angeles Harbor College. The ideal candidate will be an accomplished business professional with a record of success in an educational environment.
LOS ANGELES HARBOR COLLEGE
is a comprehensive two-year public community college providing opportunity for transfer education, occupational training, and life-long learning. The College has been the college of choice for Harbor area residents for more than 60 years. It is known for the excellence of its faculty, staff, and programs. The College provides personalized attention to students seeking to improve their knowledge and skills, prepare for transfer, as well as provide programs which respond to community and business needs. Courses are offered in traditional, hybrid, and online settings.
The College serves 10,000 students with 600 employees, newly modernized facilities, and revitalized curriculum. Harbor College is committed to enhancing student success with a comprehensive student support system geared towards a very diverse student population with a wide range of ages and backgrounds. The College is home to Los Angeles Unified School District’s Harbor Teacher Preparation Academy and works closely with local area high schools to provide job training programs to meet the needs of local employers and to encourage transfer to four-year institutions.
The Vice President, Administrative Services is responsible for the effective conduct of the business affairs of the college and assists the institution to effectively use its resources to achieve its educational mission and improve institutional effectiveness:
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Plans, directs and evaluates the business operations of the college including budget formulation & management, accounting & financial reporting, facilities planning & construction, building & grounds operations and maintenance, information technology, procurement & contracts mgmt., human resources, enterprise services administration, and safety & security services.
- Serves as chief advisor to the College President on strategic matters related to the business operations of a college.
- Establishes the objectives, scope of service, structure, staffing, work methods, and performance standards for organizational units comprising Business Services and monitors units for effectiveness and operational efficiency.
- Evaluates the merit of requests from departments and offices for money, staffing, equipment and facilities, and recommends the allocation and expenditure of resources.
- Directs the study of business problems of broad scope and complexity with the goal of developing effective managerial policies, procedures, methods and organizational structures.
- Directs the design implementation, revision, & maintenance of management information and control systems to provide complete, accurate, and timely data for use in formulating and justifying financial, staffing, and material requests in conjunction with District information technology staff.
- Assesses the impact of proposed policies, procedures, legislation, and organizational changes affecting the ability of the college to effectively and efficiently provide business services and makes appropriate recommendations.
- Collaborates with District specialists on the implementation and integration of District policies and procedures into college operations and ascertainment of solutions to unusual and complex business problems.
- Participates as a member of the management team by providing authoritative business advice for use in making decisions and establishing the priorities, goals, and objectives of the college.
- Participates in grievances, disciplinary meetings, and other employment related activities.
- Serves as a liaison between the College President and all segments of the college regarding the requirements and procedures governing the business services of the college.
- Represents the college at a variety of meetings, committees, and conferences addressing operating programs and overall management of the college and District.
- Maintains liaison with industry, organizations, and individuals in the college community to facilitate business transactions and to enhance the accessibility of community resources to students.
- Serves as a liaison with the college’s ASO and foundation(s) on business and fiscal matters.
- Assumes the duties, obligations, and responsibilities of the College President, as assigned, during his/her absence.
The salary range for this job classification is from $140,711 to $165,218
per annum. Within this salary range, the successful candidate’s starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
- 24 days paid vacation annually
- 12 full-pay and 88 half-pay days of illness leave annually
- Medical, dental and vision care plans for employee and dependents
- $50,000 District-paid life insurance policy
- At least 15 paid holidays annually
- Public Employees Retirement System
A bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree from a recognized four-year college or university. One of these degrees must be in the field of business administration, public administration, finance, economics, or a related field AND
three years in a full-time, paid management or administrative-level position with responsibility for managing/administering the business operations of a public agency or private organization employing a minimum of 100 employees. Qualifying experience must have included responsibility for managing/administering at least two line functions such as facilities management and construction, finance, human resources, information technology, and purchasing and contracts. Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. A valid Calif. Class C driver’s license must be obtained within 60 days of appointment. Travel throughout the District may be required.
The successful candidate is expected to have knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures pertaining to the construction and renovation of public buildings; principles and practices of financial management; principles and practices of governmental purchasing and material management; principles of business law and contracts; Federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and policies affecting business operations of a college; principles and practices of property management and space utilization; principles and techniques of management analysis and program evaluation; legislative and administrative processes; principles of organization and management; principles and practices of personnel management; characteristics and capabilities of management information systems, software, and hardware related to business operations; principles of supervision, training, and staff development; principles and objectives of shared governance; purpose, functions, policies, operating systems and programs of administrative units of the District.
The successful candidate is expected to be able to provide strategic leadership in planning, directing, and evaluating the business affairs of a college; relate business knowledge to the needs and characteristics of a collegiate environment; apply a high level of sound, independent judgment in the solution of complex business problems; establish priorities and integrate business services and programs into the overall management of a college; plan and direct diverse and complex operating programs and services; execute policies, rules, directions, and procedures of the District; prepare effective oral and written communications, reports and presentations; communicate effectively with faculty, staff, students, civic and other groups, and the general public; effectively utilize management information systems in the performance of duties; anticipate conditions and plan ahead; evaluate work methods and performance; persuade others as required to gain acceptance of recommendations & decisions; stimulate teamwork & promote cohesiveness to achieve business goals; conduct effective community fund raising campaigns; establish and maintain effective relationships with the business community and administrative and executive offices of the District; exercise tact, originality, and resourcefulness; motivate, direct, and develop subordinate staff.
APPLY ONLINE -- https://employment.laccd.edu. Applications may also be obtained from the Office of the Personnel Commission, 770 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California, Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Applicants may also request that an application be mailed to them by calling (213) 891-2129 or sending e-mail to: email@example.com
Applications may be submitted online using our Online Employment System -- https://employment.laccd.edu or (paper applications) mailed or submitted in person to the Office of the Personnel Commission, LACCD, 770 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90017.
Completed applications, whether submitted online or in hard copy, must be received in our office by 4:00 p.m., Friday, OCTOBER 17, 2014.
A competitive examination process will be administered and will consist of the following parts:
- Application review to select a number of applicants whose qualifications most closely match the requirements of the position. Those applicants will proceed to the:
- Written Essay & Oral Interview. The written essay will be obtained immediately prior to, and evaluated during, the oral interview which is tentatively scheduled the week of November 3, 2014.
Candidates passing all parts of the examination process shall have their names placed on an unranked eligible list of candidates. The eligible list will be forwarded to the College, who will then conduct hiring interviews of eligibles on the list and make their final selection.
|401(k), Dental Insurance, Disability Insurance, Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Leave|
|$140,711 - $165,218 annually|
Contact E-mail Address