Spartanburg Community College
After 13 years of successful leadership, Dr. Dan L. Terhune has announced his retirement. An exciting leadership opportunity exists at a progressive, comprehensive community college located in upstate South Carolina. The college serves an area of the state that features a diverse mixture of manufacturing industry, an involved business community and a variety of educational institutions.
The Area Commission for Spartanburg Community College and the Presidential Search Committee invite applications and nominations for the position of President, the Chief Executive Offi cer of the College.
Spartanburg Community College is a multi-campus, comprehensive two-year community college whose central campus, located in Spartanburg, South Carolina, joins with the Cherokee County Campus in Gaff ney and the Tyger River Campus in Duncan to give the College three distinct and diff erent locations that serve the citizens of Spartanburg, Cherokee and Union counties in South Carolina. The College off ers more than 80 programs leading to an associate degree, diploma or certifi cate in the technical/occupational disciplines. The College also off ers Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees which are transferable to baccalaureate programs. Spartanburg Community College annually enrolls approximately 5,000 credit students and 15,000 non-credit students through continuing education programs. The College employs a total of 310 faculty and staff in permanent positions. Spartanburg Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Geographically, Spartanburg Community College is less than two hours from Columbia, SC; four hours from Myrtle Beach, SC; three hours from historic Charleston, SC; ninety minutes from Charlotte, NC; thirty minutes from the mountains of North Carolina; and, less than three hours from Atlanta, GA.
• Master’s degree required; earned doctorate is preferred.
• Ten years of progressively responsible experiences in community/technical education and/or senior-level administration.
• Demonstrated ability to plan and implement innovative high quality technical/occupational educational programs.
• Extensive experience in, or knowledge of, industrial and economic development programs.
• Sensitivity to the educational, economic and cultural needs of a diverse population.
• Demonstrated ability to function eff ectively with boards and commissions.
• Evidence of the ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with business, industry, the general public, civic and political organizations and other educational and governmental entities.
• Demonstrated collaborative leadership skills in the development and implementation of strategic planning processes.
Applications and nominations will be accepted through June 30, 2009. Initial application review and screening will commence in July 2009. Persons interested in this leadership opportunity should submit a letter of application and current resume to:
Kandy N. Peacock
Chief Human Resource Administrator
South Carolina Technical College System
111 Executive Center Drive
Columbia, SC 29210
Please visit Spartanburg Community College’s website at: http://www.sccsc.edu/
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer