Great Falls College MSU is seeking an Instructional Designer who will provide leadership with assisting and supporting faculty in the development of appropriate teaching and learning strategies and applications utilizing instructional technologies, including web-based applications and digital/social media. This encompasses a broad range of technologies including the Desire2Learn Learning Management System, interactive video, live online courseware and other emerging technologies to support all aspects of eLearning. The Instructional Designer participates as a team member in the Division of eLearning and Library Services and reports to the Division Director of eLearning and Library Services. This is a full time, benefits eligible position.
Specific responsibilities for this position include:
· Work collaboratively with faculty to design, lead or participate in the development of dynamic instructional materials for online, hybrid and face-to-face courses;
· Provide first line of support for faculty through chat, phone, e-mail, web-conferencing and drop-in consultation. Acts as a point of contact to assist faculty in maintenance, technical design and course content issues;
· Create course design templates and modular support materials as needed;
· Research and evaluate emerging instructional technologies and tools and make recommendations for use; assist faculty in integrating technological innovations into the course development process;
· Lead, assist, develop and model effective design practices and implement technologies to support eLearning and the integration of educational technology on campus;
· Participate in evaluating and assessing instructional effectiveness and continuous improvement of course materials in collaboration with faculty. Conduct online course audit observations/evaluations for adjunct faculty;
· Represent department on committees or task forces dealing with online or technology-related activities on campus as needed;
· Design, present or publish appropriate training and support resources, workshops or courses to faculty and adjuncts both face to face and online;
· Creates and updates the faculty resources portion of the eLearning web page;
· Assist faculty in implementing changes to course material based on faculty feedback and course evaluation processes;
· Collaborate with the MSU four campus Desire2Learn team on upgrade decisions, troubleshooting issues, and other related areas;
· Works closely with the Director of eLearning and Library Services and other division staff in strategic planning;
· Serve as the primary campus liaison for designing, troubleshooting and maintaining the learning management system faculty training course; and
· Collaborate with department team members in work assignment or project completion and in other areas as needed to support Great Falls College MSU eLearning efforts.
- Master’s Degree in instructional technology, education, information science, or a related field;
- Experience as a teacher, trainer and/or professional development instructor for adult learners;
- Experience designing instruction for online learning environments;
- Demonstrated knowledge of instructional design principles and practices;
- Experience interpreting student and instructor needs to produce effective instructional materials and technologies to support teaching and learning;
- High-level office software skills, including word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software;
- Experience working with design software such as desktop publishing, photo/audio/video editing, web design and emerging web 2.0 technologies;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in teaching and training situations; and
- Demonstrated experience using a course/learning management system.
· Desire2Learn experience as a student, instructor, help desk support, and/or system administrator;
· Demonstrated experience working with people of varied technological skills;
· Experience working with educators using a variety of approaches to teaching and learning in a variety of curricular areas;
· Two or more years of professional teaching experience in an educational setting; and
· Advanced skill in using or deploying a learning management system.
Your packet must include the following;
1. Cover letter addressing how your background and philosophy align with the qualifications and responsibilities associated with this position
2. Resume or CV detailing professional education and experience
3. Transcripts of educational credentials (copies permitted with application – official transcripts required if hired)
4. Names and contact information of three professional references
5. Completed Background Check Authorization Form
Additional Materials (voluntary);
· Completed applicant survey
· Completed Employment Preference form (if you are claiming preference please submit the necessary form as well as documentation).
Please apply direct. Position is open until filled; for best consideration, apply by August 6, 2014.