|Executive Director of College Relations|
|Green River Community College|
|12401 SE 320 th Street Auburn WA 98092|
Reporting to the College President, the Executive Director of College Relations will be responsible for developing and executing a public relations and marketing strategy that raises institutional visibility, establishing relationships with local and regional media, and serving as the College’s primary public relations writer. This individual will oversee and perform multiple institutional functions including media relations, community relations, legislative advocacy, marketing, advertising, publications and graphics standards. Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
| Position Responsibilities:|
- Provides leadership and direction with other executive-level duties appropriate for the position of Executive Director of College Relations. Oversees the College Relations Office and Marketing and Communications (MarCom) Department.
- Provides leadership for the college’s strategic Marketing Plan, including analyzing demographic data to develop appropriate marketing and advertising strategies for the college.
- Work with President on major communication strategies – to include messaging, while supporting Green River’s strategic planning and the development of senior management initiatives.
- Research background information and prepare speeches, presentations by the President.
- Serves on appropriate teams and committees within the college and externally to enhance college initiatives and projects.
- Develops and maintains contacts and relationships with representatives of the news media, elected officials, business and industry, college, students, and the general public.
- Conducts interviews and serves as college spokesperson and media liaison to print and broadcast media.
- Advises college officials and staff on matters related to the image and promotion of the college, including media relations and crafting responses to inquiries.
- Seeks to position the college to effectively inform public officials of the importance of the college within the state, the nation, and international arenas.
- Possesses excellent writing and editing skills. Writes, edits, and distributes news releases, feature stories, public service announcements, campus updates, letters, bullet points for speeches and other related materials.
- Serves as the college’s primary public relations writer, with experience and ability to produce effective publications and marketing pieces that promote the college’s strengths and unique features.
- Participates in the state-wide Public Information Commission (PIC).
- Serves as legislative liaison for the college. Monitors and tracks legislation affecting the college at the state and federal level. Oversees, coordinates and manages all campus activities and interactions with public officials in consultation with college administration.
- Develops and oversees strategies to advocate, enhance, and seek support for the college and advocates for the college and higher education.
- Works with representatives of campus constituent groups to develop platforms on key issues and advocates those positions to public officials.
- Works with the college’s research and planning function to identify opportunities to strengthen the college’s legislative program, community outreach, communications and marketing.
- Serves as an informational resource for the Legislature as needed.
- Organizes local legislative committee whose role is to effectively interact with local, state and federal elected officials and their staff, informing them of college priorities and activities; student success initiatives; and positions regarding pending legislation.
- Schedule annual and ongoing meetings with legislators.
Marketing and Communications
- Supervises Marketing and Communications Department. Oversees the design, writing, accuracy, and electronic distribution or printing of catalogs, brochures, flyers, college web sites, social media, other new and developing media, view books and other promotional publications.
- Creates, in partnership with administration and campus departments, marketing and communications plans – to include public relations strategies and goals which align with and support Green River’s Strategic Plan.
- Coordinates marketing efforts with appropriate college staff; creates ad copy, places media buys for maximum effectiveness, and negotiates contracts.
- Works with various college departments to create and maintain an effective marketing campaign for the college. Collaborates with college departments to develop advertising, copy and design for online, direct mail, newspaper, magazine and radio markets; track materials deadlines; and gather data, quotes, graphics and photos in support of content development and storytelling efforts.
- Leads the implementation of Green River’s Marketing Plan that raises institutional visibility and supports the successful recruitment of students and the ongoing engagement of community members.
- Assists in developing promotional material for various internal and external events. Executes distribution of materials and monitors external mailings.
- Coordinates college-wide graphic standards program, including review and approval of publications, mass communications and web pages. Collaborates with graphic designers/printers.
- Establishes effective process of utilizing public relations outlets (electronic, web, emails, print, social media, video).
- General oversight of the employee(s) charged with managing any radio station affiliated with Green River Community College.
- A master’s degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Political Science, Communications or related field and five years of increasingly responsible management experience in a higher education setting.
- Increasingly responsible management experience in communications, public relations, marketing, community relations, student services and/or instruction.
- Excellent writing, editing and production skills; must be able to write effectively under deadlines, pressure and in crisis communication situations.
- Demonstrated ability to modify writing style for various authors, audiences and modes of communication.
- Working successfully in a team environment; demonstrating strong communication skills with members across the institution and community.
- Directing and supervising professional and support staff; reviewing and evaluating outcomes; and assuring accountability for overall implementation of assigned responsibilities.
- Commitment and experience contributing to an organizational goal of creating and fostering a climate in which diversity is understood and appreciated.
- Demonstrated successful experience working with diverse groups of students, faculty, staff, and / or community members.
- Demonstrating strong budgetary skills.
- Demonstrated skill and experience as a spokesperson and presenter.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to persuade in tactful, noncontroversial ways.
- Commitment to diversity in the workplace and educational environment.
- Commitment to the mission of the comprehensive community college.
- Ability and desire to establish and support a customer-service environment.
- Doctorate or other advanced degree in education, communications, community college administration or a related field.
- Management experience that includes supervising in a complex or multi-disciplinary environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of student success initiatives and supporting their implementation.
- Demonstrated skill and experience in facilitating decision-making processes for individuals and groups with diverse interests.
- Demonstrated skill and experience working with a wide variety of community groups.
Challenges and Opportunities
- Maintain and develop effective internal and external communication systems and processes.
- Continue excellent media relationships.
- Continue to develop college-wide marketing programs and strategies.
- Oversee innovative ways to market the College’s programs and services.
- Ensure institutional effectiveness practices are fully integrated into a strong culture of assessment.
- Lead a strategic effort of concise plans and goals within the College Relations and Resource Development unit.
- Provide leadership for the continued development and management of the College’s web page.
- Expand community relations efforts into outlying communities.
|Public Information Officer|
|Dental Insurance, Disability Insurance, Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Leave, Tuition Reimbursement|
Contact E-mail Address
|7/19/2014 4:46 PM|