This is a grant funded position and continuation is dependent upon availability of funds.
The Director of Small Business Development is primarily responsible for planning, developing, implementing, conducting and evaluating programs designed to provide counseling and management training for small business owners in the Navarro College service area. Work includes publicizing program, developing local contacts, recruiting and supervising staff and fiscal program administration. The Director will work with various constituencies to implement a successful Small Business Development Center (SBDC) program.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop and publicize programs to attract clients and support from the community business and industry leaders.
• Cultivate relationships and promote the SBDC with Chambers of Commerce, economic development departments and corporations, and other public and private entities serving the business community within the four county service areas.
• Develop and promote Continuing Education programs, courses and workshops relevant to small businesses in cooperation with the Continuing Education Department to assist small businesses.
• Provide liaison with government agencies, public and private businesses and educational institutions to provide information and services to small businesses in the service area.
• Prepare proposals to seek funds from outside sources. Develop and administer grant budget within guidelines of Navarro College, external agencies and the Dallas County Community College District (DCCCD)
• Develop cost-effective programs for client services; maintain accurate records and prepare periodic reports as required.
• Develop and maintain resource listing of counselors and instructors available to participate in program activities.
• Select, supervise and evaluate staff for which responsible.
• Communicate on a regular basis with Navarro College administration and Dallas County Community College District SBDC administrators.
• Must be willing to travel in support of the Small Business Development Center (SBDC).
• Prepare and maintain the SBDC budget and operate within the approved budget including preparing annual proposal for SBA grant fund.
• Educate small business clients in matters related to financial responsibility.
• Assist clients in preparing profit and loss statements, balance sheets and statements of cash flow.
• Assist clients in researching job costs and calculating growth profit margin.
• Assist bankers as needed in matters related in small business loans.
• Perform other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to utilize computer technology to access information, maintain records, generate reports and communicate.
• Proven oral and written communication skills to support interaction with individuals from other organizations, state and federal agencies and members of the business and industry community from diverse socio-economic backgrounds.
• Experience in business start-up, planning, marketing, accounting and finance preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree with five (5) years small business ownership, management or related consulting experience
• Master’s degree in Business or Finance with three (3) years small business ownership, management or related consulting experience
• Previous experience in supervision
DIRECTLY SUPERVISES THE FOLLOWING:
• Administrative Assistant
• Business Advisors
• Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
• Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.