KCTCS System Office provides leadership, support and service for the operations and management of the entire system including community and technical colleges throughout the state. KCTCS is the largest provider of post-secondary education and workforce training in the Commonwealth. The open position, outlined below, is located in Versailles, Kentucky.
About KCTCS Online Learn on Demand
The KCTCS Online Learn on Demand (LoD) initiative is designed to provide students with flexibility and access to online programs and courses. The courses are delivered fully online in a modularized, competency-based format, and students can pick their own start date. KCTCS Online Learn on Demand students access the programs through a single website location to begin, continue, and complete their program online, with little or no need to be physically present in any location. All KCTCS Online course modules and instructors are quality (QA) certified through a formal peer review process and instructor certification training and assessment (Facilitator Certification Training - FaCT) and includes all learning content directly in the course modules. Students have access to a 24/7 Online Student Services Help Desk where questions about admission, financial aid, course requirements, and other student-related topics can be answered. Current course offerings include degree and certificate programs plus transitional education toward college readiness. The College Readiness program for reading, writing, and math features diagnostic assessments where students take only the course modules they need. The design of each course module is similar and includes a pre-assessment, learning content aligned with approved course competencies, interactive learning activities, and a post-assessment. Assessments are both formative and summative and authentic assessment techniques are used where appropriate. Learn on Demand supports the state’s completion agenda where students can advance through demonstration of mastery of course content.
This position is responsible for leading the KCTCS Online Learn on Demand initiative. Reporting to the KCTCS Chancellor, the Executive Director oversees the operation of Learn on Demand, assuring the efficient and effective delivery of online courses to current and prospective students while promoting the initiative on a state and national level. The Executive Director will also help shape new marketing and sales strategies that will lead to state and national scaling of the initiative.
The Executive Director provides leadership and direction in developing Learn on Demand (LoD) goals, objectives and strategies, and identifies the resources needed to achieve them. He/she establishes policies and procedures as needed to carry out LoD’s mission and program of activities; ensures a robust technical infrastructure; develops and monitors the LoD budget; maintains sound fiscal practices in the establishment and execution of LoD business functions; prepares the annual budget request for LoD and submits the request to the KCTCS Chancellor for review and submission to the LoD Leadership Team for approval.
The Executive Director is responsible for implementing an organizational structure that supports the mission of the initiative. He/she will provide leadership to a staff of 12 fulltime System Office employees while providing guidance and support to hundreds of online faculty and related staff at the LoD colleges. He/she will also work closely with the Chancellor’s Leadership Team and the LoD staff to create a culture of customer service, excellence and collaboration.
The Executive Director interacts regularly with the Council on Postsecondary Education, state education leaders, community agencies, educational entities, and industry; represents LoD in state and national venues; and oversees negotiations with vendors, agencies, and other entities. In addition, the Executive Director provides reports, information and support as requested to the KCTCS Chancellor and the LoD Leadership Team.
KCTCS offers a competitive benefits package and an attractive work environment that supports excellence, innovation, and creativity. Positions with the KCTCS System Office are term-contract positions, with the expectancy of continuance based on performance.
• Oversees the operation of LoD; Interacts regularly with the Council on Postsecondary Education, education leaders, community agencies, educational entities, and industry regarding issues pertaining to online technology and education, and participates in creating a statewide distance learning and online student services vision for KCTCS.
• Provides leadership and direction in developing LOD’s goals, strategies, and objectives; develops appropriate plans and identifies the resources needed to achieve established goals. Establishes policies and procedures as needed to carry out LoD’s mission and program of activities; develops budgets and prepares fiscal reports as needed; maintains sound fiscal practices in the establishment and execution of LoD business functions.
• Provides leadership and direction in shaping new marketing and sales strategies that will lead to state and national scaling of the initiative.
• Serves as staff to the LoD Leadership Team, providing support in the execution of its responsibilities and its fulfillment of its goals.
• Serves as LoD’s liaison for communications with KCTCS employees, KCTCS students, other state entities, and the public.
• Negotiates agreements with vendors, agencies, and other entities as required to advance LoD.
• Represents LoD at meetings and professional events as required; provides reports on LoD activities and implementation status as needed.
• Provides leadership and direct oversight of assigned staff, including general direction to the college LoD program coordinators, LoD project leaders, and LoD faculty; plans and approves workloads, follows-up with each employee to ensure they have the tools and skills to complete work assignments on time; prepares and carries through to completion the performance planning and evaluation process; participates in the hiring process; and manages overall performance of assigned staff.
• Works collaboratively as a member of the Chancellor’s Leadership Team to provide overall strategic leadership to the organization. Participates in the development of the strategic plan.
Master’s degree plus ten (10) years progressively responsible experience in postsecondary institutions that deliver or actively promote innovative online education; or in organizations with experience in virtual delivery of education and/or services; or equivalent.
• Terminal degree
• Entrepreneurial spirit
• Strategic thinker who can envision, design, and execute plans which meet the demands of online education across the state and beyond
• Track record of success in creation of online programs
• Understanding of basic marketing principles and sales
• Experience in interpreting research data and developing into actionable marketing activities
• Experience in organizational integration and melding of diverse cultural aspects
• Experience in postsecondary education administration
• Experience in dealing with enterprise-wide policy level issues
• Experience in leadership and supervision at the executive level
• Experience in strategic and operational planning
• Experience in personnel and financial management
• Experience with project management
• Experience in contract management/negotiation.
• Experience in teaching online and has a deep understanding of a learner-centered environment in an online setting.
To apply, visit www.kctcs.edu and click on “Job-Seekers”
Applications with a letter of interest, a complete CV, and a list of references that
includes contact information must be provided.
KCTCS invites letters of nomination or expressions of interest to be sent via mail to:
KCTCS HR Department
Attn: Charlie Jane Weber
Job #9539, Ex Dir Online Learn On Demand
300 North Main Street
Versailles, KY 40383
KY law requires state and national pre-employment background checks as a condition of employment.
Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made.
Applicants will be notified if selected for an interview.
For questions regarding the above position, contact us by emailing