San Mateo County Community College District
College President - Cañada College (Re-Posted 4/3/12)
Posting Number: 0600626
Salary: The annual compensation is in a range of $160,000 to $204,000 plus annual stipends totaling $19,704.
Division: CAÑ - President Office
Position Type: Administrative/Supervisory Positions
Location: Cañada College
Percentage of Full Time: 100%
Months per Year: 12
Position Number: 3A0006
Posting Date: 11-07-2011
First Review Date: 08-31-2012 Deadline is 10 p.m. PST
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The board of trustees and the chancellor of the San Mateo County Community College District seek a college president with the skills, aptitudes and experience to help Cañada College fulfill its mission.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and develop the overall academic direction for the college and district in conjunction with the chancellor and shared governance groups
- Plan and recommend the instructional and student services programs, college budget, and organizational structure of the college
- Collaborate with district and college staff and the community the college serves on strategic planning, policy development and resource allocation
- Serve as a strong advocate for the college within the multi-college district and at local, state, national, and international levels
- Facilitate the collaboration of instructional and student services faculty and staff to promote success for all students
- Provide leadership for the implementation of policies and procedures that ensure and enhance equitable opportunity for college students and staff
- Provide leadership for sound fiscal planning in the development and management of the institution budget and externally funded initiatives
- Broaden communication and actively engage the community to enhance and strengthen college and community relations and partnerships
- Represent the college as chief executive officer at community and business events, and at meetings with government and other agency representatives
- Lead and coordinate innovative efforts for staff development and the improvement of instructional and student services programs
- Provide staffing recommendations in compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity principles and guidelines
- Recommend the selection, retention, promotion and termination of college personnel
- Facilitate the college's accreditation process
- Support the implementation of safety training programs and services for students and staff
- Oversee college facilities to ensure that they are functional, energy-efficient and safe
- Possession of at least a master's degree from an accredited college or university
- The equivalent of five years of progressively responsible management experience, including at least two years of leadership in education
- Demonstrated management and leadership qualities and skills
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, and ethnic and cultural backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff
Letter of Reference 1
Letter of Reference 2
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Interested applicants must submit the following items for consideration:
- A completed online district application form. Please go to https://jobs.smccd.edu to complete the application.
- A letter of application of no more than five pages which summarizes, with examples from background and experience, how your knowledge and expertise apply to the requirements and desirable skills and abilities for the college president. You will be asked to attach (upload) your letter at the time of application.
- A current resume of professional experience, educational background and other pertinent information.
- Two current letters of recommendation from individuals who have a thorough knowledge of your experience and qualifications for the position of college president.
Office of Human Resources
3401 CSM Drive, San Mateo, CA 94402
Automated Service Line 650.574-6555
Online application: https://jobs.smccd.edu
The Selection Process
The office of human resources will forward all application packets that include all the required materials to the screening committee, which will review and determine which candidates most closely meet the stated requirements and desirable skills and abilities.
First Review Application Deadline:
August 31, 2012
Interviews will be scheduled in September at Cañada College.
Interviewees living outside the San Francisco Bay Area will be reimbursed for the reasonable cost of coach class airfare and hotel accommodations.
Finalists for the position will participate in college forums with faculty, students and staff in October.
Finalist interviews with the board of trustees and chancellor are scheduled for October.
It is anticipated that employment and contract offers will be made by mid November, and the anticipated start date will be January 1, 2013.
For more information and to apply, visit http://apptrkr.com/258515