Dean of Workforce & Economic Development – Business & Community Services
Holyoke Community College
For six decades, Holyoke Community College has educated and inspired students of diverse ages and backgrounds. Our students and employees alike share a common desire to succeed. If you want to be part of this vibrant community, consider a career at HCC.
The Dean of Workforce & Economic Development is under the direct supervision of the Vice President for Business & Community Services, and works as the operations manager for the Business & Community Services Division. The Dean develops annual revenue generation and budget goals in collaboration with the VP to maximize the department’s financial return to the college. This position represents the college within the workforce development system of the Commonwealth and the region to provide workforce programs which meet the needs of area businesses and the career and educational goals of individuals.
In addition, the Dean leads the Center for Business & Professional Development department and is responsible for creating high quality revenue generating workforce development training programs. The Dean provides direct supervision to program managers and staff, manages workforce programs and services, provides budget oversight, builds workforce collaborations and facilitates the design of training curriculum to address the needs of businesses and individuals.
Serve as the director of operations for the Business & Community Services Division. Work with the Vice President to create and implement the division budget while defining the operations plan.
- Provide supervision to various program directors and coordinators.
- Provide leadership to create workforce development training programs and services, which meet the training needs of area companies, their employees and job seekers. The Dean will develop and manage public offerings in workforce development; manage grant and fee based workforce-training programs, oversee the testing center services and promote workforce conferences and seminars.
- Develop annual departmental and program budgets. Monitor budget versus actual revenue and expenses. Develop and implement contingency plans as needed.
- Develop policies and procedures for Departments staff and operations. Assist the staff with development of individual annual program, enrollment and financial goals. Advise staff on development of contract proposals, grant initiatives and contract/consultant contracts. Negotiate pricing structure for new programs and for trainer/consultant pay. Identify and facilitate professional development opportunities for staff.
- Work within the regional workforce development system, i.e. area businesses, to create and implement best practice models of high quality workforce programs which can be replicated and sustained at HCC.
- Work within the college to build collaborations with faculty and staff in other college divisions and within BCS that will provide lasting and sustainable solutions to the workforce needs of the region, both for companies and individuals.
- Facilitate the design of training programs and courses, and academic and employment career ladders (pathways) to address the business’s strategic planning needs as well as identify skill gaps or training needs..
- Identify private or grant funds to fund training. Access funding through grant writing and collaboration with the Institutional Development Division and the grant writing staff.
- Market/Plan new and recurring training in collaboration with the marketing and public relations staff of the college and other departments. Research regional competitors’ price structures to ensure market competitiveness of programs and services.
- Plan local, statewide and regional conferences, seminars, and special events relative to workforce/professional/economic development and the global economy.
- Work internally with HCC faculty and staff to identify current and future workforce issues as well as methods to implement these initiatives, e.g. the development of career pathways between non-credit training and credit career programs.
- Attend meetings at the request of the Vice President for Business & Community Affairs.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business/Management or closely related field; Minimum of seven years successful managerial experience in a post-secondary education/training environment or business/sales operation; Successful experience in: developing new programs and services, developing collaborative partnerships with outside organizations, establishing departmental goals, developing marketing strategies, recruiting qualified workforce development trainers and consultants, designing public offering schedules, people and supervisory skills; Successful project management experience; Knowledge of grant funding; Participates in statewide and regional workforce organizations; Demonstrated success in budget management; Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite; Familiarity with quality assurance and quality improvement methods; Proven ability to design presentations and present on workforce development topics; Knowledge of employer expectations and experience working with a diverse customer population. Master’s Degree in Business/Management, or a minimum of fifteen years successful managerial-level experience in a post-secondary education, training, or sales environment preferred; Bilingual English/Spanish speaking skills; Familiarity with the business community of Western Massachusetts and the workforce development system of the region preferred.
Interested applicants MUST submit a Resume, Cover Letter and List of 3 Professional References with names, addresses, and phone numbers. (When preparing your cover letter, please refer to the minimum and preferred qualifications as pertaining to this position and, if applicable, include an equivalency statement.) Please submit these documents online to: www.hcc.edu/careers
The position offers a salary of $75,700-$90,200/year plus a comprehensive State benefits package. We will be reviewing applications beginning April 27th, 2012.
Holyoke Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer Apply Here