ABOUT THE POSITION
Under the direction of the Board of Trustees, the President serves as the visionary, main political strategist and advocate for the College. The President is the primary spokesperson to the community about the College’s role, and serves as a high-visibility builder of support and key alliances with business, the legislature, the community, technical college system and for technical education overall. The President, in collaboration with the Board of Trustees, determines budget needs and priorities, the administrative organization of the College and fosters a cohesive and supportive environment, which enables students to succeed and thrive at Bates.
FUTURE CHALLENGES FACING BATES TECHNICAL COLLEGE
Quality of Education
Providing quality education and job training at an affordable price in a climate of declining revenues.
Concurrently implementing budget cuts and maintaining Bates as a leader in instructional excellence.
Maintaining strategic direction and institutional stability during the next three years when a majority of the Board of Trustees’ terms expire and a significant number of faculty are retiring.
Four College labor contracts expire – three in 2012 and one in 2013.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The President must set a standard by intellectually and emotionally engaging people at all levels – from students and faculty to community partners – and doing so in a wide range of settings and through various media. The new President will lead the College in keeping its instructional programs, message and profile fresh, relevant and effective.
For this unique and important role the Board of Trustees seeks a dynamic, highly credible, unifying leader who is deeply committed to student success and embraces and respects the socioeconomic, academic, cultural and ethnic diversity of the Bates Technical College community. The next President must have a passion for education and be eager to make a personal investment in the long-term success of Bates Technical College. Proven leadership experience and political acumen are essential. Candidates should bring strengths in both external relations and internal management with an ability to balance the two.
An earned Master’s Degree from an accredited institution with at least seven years of recent experience in a senior management role. An earned Doctorate is a plus. The preferred candidate will have experience and demonstrated success in the following areas:
• Fiscal responsibility in a complex public or private organization.
• Demonstrated ability to lead an institution that supports full inclusion of diversity.
• Successful experience working with a Board.
• High level of integrity, ethics and transparency.
• Community or technical college experience.
• Successful experience working with labor unions in an interest-based bargaining environment.
TO VIEW THE FULL JOB ANNOUNCEMENT PLEASE VISIT WWW.KARRASCONSULTING.NET
Persons interested in this
position should submit the
• A letter of application of four pages or less. Specifically address the key elements of the job announcement and provide examples of how your background and experience qualify you to be the next President of Bates College.
• A current resume that reflects the size of staff managed and budget for prior positions.
• Salary history.
• Copies of academic transcripts. Unofficial copies are acceptable upon application. However, official copies must be submitted if a candidate becomes a finalist.
If you have questions
regarding this announcement, please call Marissa Karras at 360-956-1336. This position
will remain open until filled. In order to be considered for the first round of interviews please
submit your application
materials by April 23, 2012 to firstname.lastname@example.org
or by fax to 360-956-1348.
Bates is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and caring community of faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We will provide assistance in the recruitment, application and selection process to applicants with disabilities who request such assistance.