LIBRARIAN (TECHNICAL SERVICES)
Full-Time Tenure Track
JOB OPENING ID# 1721/3892
OPENING DATE: OCTOBER 26, 2011
CLOSING DATE: FEBRUARY 15, 2012
SALARY: $59,526--$79,368 plus a doctoral stipend of $3,334 for those with an earned doctorate.
PLEASE NOTE: In order to be considered for this opening, you must apply
through the District website at https://jobs.socccd.edu
The successful candidate must meet one of the following criteria:
• Master’s degree or higher in library science, or library and information science from an accredited college or university; OR
• A combination of education and experience that is at least the equivalent of items 1 above (candidates who apply on the basis of equivalency must submit the Supplemental Application for Equivalency Determination form in addition to all other required materials.); OR
• Valid California Community College Instructor credential, appropriate to the subject, per Education Code 87355 (issued prior to July l, 1990).
• Minimum of two (2) years post-graduate experience in an academic library (preferably community college) planning and managing library automation systems and technical services. One year cataloging experience using MARC, AACR2, OCLC; OR
• For recent library school graduates, minimum of three (3) years of full-time experience in library technical services (cataloging and acquisitions) and interest in specializing in cataloging and acquisitions, AND
• Evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Preference will be given those candidates who demonstrate a high level of professional expertise on the basis of:
• Demonstrated knowledge of online database management, the principals of cataloging, subject analysis, classification, authority control, and bibliographic maintenance.
• Demonstrated ability to apply nationally recognized rules and standards including LC Classification, LCSH, MARC21 and RDA (Resource Description and Access).
• Cataloging experience with OCLC bibliographic utility and an integrated library system, preferably SirsiDynix.
• Demonstrated experience with digital collection management.
• Demonstrated library instruction experience or training to students and faculty or staff. Experience in making professional presentations will be considered.
• Demonstrated experience in providing reference services to a diverse population.
• Demonstrated experience in acquisition.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse community of colleagues and library users. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Community college experience.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Manages all aspects of technical services workflow, including database management, planning for future initiatives, proposing technical solutions, and settling and maintaining standards of database quality and cataloging productivity.
• Provides leadership for the library regarding cataloging trends, collection management and acquisitions process.
• Teaches information competency workshops.
• Provides traditional and online reference services.
• The librarian in this position participates in cataloging all library resources, in all formats; coordinates database authority control; keeps abreast of library technology, cataloging rules and resources, and makes recommendations as appropriate; coordinates projects related to cataloging and bibliographic maintenance.
• Manages the expenditure of library funds and budgets; oversees the acquisitions process of print and digital resources.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Saddleback College Library/Learning Resource Center will have its grand-opening in fall 2012. The fully-renovated 3-story building will be the comprehensive academic support center of the college.
The successful applicant will join a team of 5 librarians each of whom takes the lead in one area of the library. All librarians teach information competency workshops, provide traditional and chat-reference, have collection development duties, and participate on college committees. As faculty, librarians are eligible for sabbatical leaves every 7 years. Tenure is granted after 4 years of successful evaluations that focus on support of the college’s instructional mission. Saddleback College librarians have 10-month faculty appointments.
Saddleback College is one of 2 comprehensive colleges in the South Orange County Community College District. The District is funded by local property taxes. Saddleback College funding is stable. For information regarding salary and benefits, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 949-582-4850/
Assignment may include evening and/or weekend hours.