Name: Lone Star College System
Chancellor: Richard Carpenter
City: The Woodlands
Campus Setting: Suburban, Small City
Year Established: 1972
Governing Board Website
Student Characteristics Based on Fall 2010 IPEDS Data
2010 Fall Credit Enrollment
Total Enrollment: 54,412
Part Time: 65.4%
Full Time: 34.6%
Asian/Pacific Islander: 6.6%
Native American: 0.5%
Quote from the President
“Lone Star College System’s number one strategic goal is student success. LSCS works to give our students clear pathways to achieve their goals and become productive citizens in the Houston region. We are also proud of our partnerships with a number of four-year institutions to help students move beyond their associate degrees to bachelor’s degrees and more.”
- Lone Star College System is the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area and the fastest-growing community college system in the nation.
- LSCS is the fourth-largest producer of associate degrees for community colleges nationwide. LSCS ranks 10th for community colleges nationwide for the number of its Hispanic students receiving associate degrees. LSCS ranks third in the country with the most international students.
- LSCS is committed to student success and credential completion preparing students for careers in high-demand industries such as energy, manufacturing, computer technology and health care.
- Not only great in size, LSCS’s $1.1 billion annual economic impact is a major and growing contributor to the local economy.
- LSCS was recently named to the 2012 Military Friendly School list by the G.I. Jobs Military Friendly Schools team and to the 2012 “25 Colleges with Incredible Veteran Support” list by Best Colleges Online.