Name: Columbia State Community College
President: Janet Smith
Campus Setting: Town, Distant
Year Established: 1966
Governing Board of Website
Student Characteristics Based on Fall 2013 IPEDS Data
2013 Fall Credit Enrollment
Part Time: 57%
Full Time: 43%
African American: 7%
Two or More Races: 2%
Race Uknown: 1%
Quote from the President
“Columbia State was the first community college established in Tennessee. During our nearly 50 years, we have grown into a multi-campus college that is noted for the quality education that we provide to the citizens of our surrounding communities. For Columbia State, it’s all about student success. We are dedicated to helping students achieve their goals and providing a solid educational experience. When students leave here, they are prepared to enter the workforce or transfer to a four-year college or university.”
- The film crew technology program is one of only three of its kind in the nation,and is the only program in Tennessee with a professional working grip/electric production vehicle.
- The college is also home to popular Middle Tennessee arts venues such as the Cherry Theater and the Pryor Art Gallery.
- More than 85% of faculty at Columbia State hold advanced degrees.
- The commercial entertainment program is designed for students who want to enter the entertainment field. Students learn all aspects of the performance industry including commercial voice, dance, studio recording, songwriting, acting, and stagecraft.
- The President’s Leadership Society encourages students to develop their knowledge and become active in campus life by attending lectures, workshops, community service and other events. The goal of the society is to foster students’ leadership skills and create engaged, responsible citizens who understand the value of giving back.