Name: Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College
President: Dr. Mary S. Graham
Governing Board Website
2014 Fall Credit Enrollment
Part Time: 3448
Full Time: 6351
Not Reported: 38
African American: 2322
Asian/Pacific Islander: 259
Native American: 39
Dr. Mary S. Graham
Susan D. Hunt
Quote from the President
“Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College serves more than 30,000 credit and non-credit students annually at nine locations, with a tenth in the planning stages within its four-county district. The college is home to 10 intercollegiate athletic teams and almost 900 residential students. The college leads the state of Mississippi in workforce training, partnering with more than 60 companies to provide training to more than 16,000 workers annually, and has an astounding 92 percent job-placement rate among its career and technical graduates. Named as a 2015 Great College to Work For, Gulf Coast is committed to providing its employees with an exceptional work environment that includes on-campus medical clinics available to all employees and their dependents at a nominal cost per visit.”
- MGCCC offers bachelor degrees at two of its campuses – mechanical engineering through Mississippi State University at its Jackson County Campus, with plans to expand to electrical engineering, and culinary degrees through Mississippi University for Women at the Jefferson Davis Campus.
- Beginning fall 2015, STEM majors at MGCCC can get an Associate of Science degree, the first degree of its kind offered in the state.
- The college’s Transitions Academy allows participants to work toward getting their GED while taking college-level courses in several career and technical programs. Using the Mississippi Integrated Basic Education and Skills Training (MI-BEST) program model, basic skills and career-technical instructors teach as a team in the classroom so that students gain basic and occupational skills simultaneously. Students also have the opportunity to earn nationally recognized credentials while enrolled at the Transitions Academy, allowing for a greater chance for job placement following program completion.
- MGCCC led the state in academic and technical degrees awarded during the 2014-2015 academic year, awarding 16 percent of the associate degrees (1,233) and almost 19 percent of the Associate of Applied Science degrees (811) in the state. Additionally, MGCCC awarded almost 27 percent of degrees and credentials of the state total of 5,206. Overall, MGCCC awarded 3,426 degrees and certificates, representing 20 percent of the state total for the year.
- A national leader in degree production and enrollment growth, MGCCC has made Community College Week’s list of Top 100 Associate Degree Producers for the past 11 consecutive years and was listed as a Fastest Growing Community College among the nation’s largest community colleges (more than 10,000 enrollment) this past year. MGCCC was also designated as one of the Great Colleges to Work For, a Military Friendly School, STEM Jobs Approved and Fit-Friendly Worksite for 2015.