Vision of AACC’s Future
View a PDF of AACC's 2013-2016 Strategic Plan
Goal 1: Increase the Value of AACC Membership
- Facilitate the implementation of the 21st-Century Initiative across the nation’s community, junior, and technical colleges.
Deliver high-quality customer service to ensure member satisfaction and retention.
Be a visionary organization that anticipates transformation in higher education, raises member understanding of the evolving landscape, and influences and leads change to benefit community colleges.
- Provide advocacy (both legislative and communications), programming, and resources necessary to help colleges refocus the mission and redefine roles to meet 21st-century education and employment needs.*
- Deliver strategies, programming, and resources designed to actively help colleges increase certificates and degrees by 50% by 2020; reduce by half the number of unprepared students by 2020; and double the number of students who complete developmental education programs.*
- Support the development of policies and practices that promote rigor, transparency, and accountability for results in community colleges to improve outcomes nationwide.*
Goal 2: Maximize Resources to Community Colleges
- Advocate from the membership’s perspective and with an awareness of their positions.
- Collaborate with philanthropy, government, and the private sector to drive investment in the nation's community colleges.*
- Aggressively pursue critical resources for institutions and students from the federal government.
- Support legislation and member-driven efforts to create new incentives for institutions of education and their students to make student success and completion a priority while preserving open access.*
- Advocate to minimize the costs of federal regulation on member institutions.
Goal 3: Position AACC as the Preeminent Source for Information Regarding Community Colleges
- Establish, showcase, and sustain the AACC 21st-Century Center to benefit all community colleges, and fully integrate it with the association’s ongoing programming.
- Raise the collective impact of the community college voice.
- Use state-of-the-art strategies and leverage existing and innovative technologies to enhance and increase the level of member and stakeholder engagement.
- Generate and maintain currency and relevance of information, analysis, actionable evidence, and other resources provided by AACC.
Goal 4: Define the Profession and Build Leadership Capacity to Ensure a Successful Future for Community Colleges
- Develop and sustain AACC’s Leadership Suite to provide emerging and seasoned leaders with professional development and renewal opportunities.
- Lead efforts to enhance the quality and grow the quantity of future leaders.
- Provide professional development opportunities to help cultivate and inspire transformational leaders.
AACC 21st-Century Initiative
The AACC 21st-Century Initiative guided development of the association's 2013-2013 Strategic Plan. The overall goal of the 21st-Century Initiative is to educate 5 million more students with degrees, certificates, or other credentials by 2020.
Phases of the Initiative:
Listening Tour (2011-12)
Gathered information on student access, accountability, what AACC could do for its members, and big ideas for the future
- 1300 stakeholders
- 10 regions
- Released report of findings
21st-Century Commission on the Future of Community Colleges (2011-12)
Asked to safeguard the fundamental mission of the community college and to challenge community colleges to imagine a new future
- 38 thought leaders
- Released Reclaiming the American Dream: Community Colleges and the Nation's Future Commission Report
- 7 recommendations
- 22 strategies
Developing the Implementation Action Plan (2012–14)
Building a bridge between the commission recommendations and specific implementation strategies
- 112 community college leaders
- Steering Committee and nine Implementation Teams
- Development of final implementation report
- AACC 2013-2016 Strategic Plan
Implementing the Action Plan (2014–Beyond)
Facilitating and supporting the transformation of 21st-century community colleges
- Release of implementation guide
- Establish, showcase, and sustain the AACC 21st-Century Center, a resource to help facilitate the implementation of the 21st-Century Initiative
*closely aligned with a 21st-Century recommendation